BM# 74: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Quick and Delicious Stir Fries
Dish: Stir fried Bok Choy with Noodle Cake
For the final day of this week’s Stir fries theme, I made this stir fried bok choy with noodle cake. Recipe is from ‘The complete vegetarian cookbook‘ by America’s Test Kitchen. In this recipe, bok choy and red pepper are stir fried with a simple sauce and then served over a crispy noodle cake.
One of the beauties of stir frying is that it can be done quickly with just about anything in the refrigerator. But there a few tips and tricks for making a great stir fry. First is to have all the veggies chopped and ready to go. Choosing the right vegetables is the key — sturdy veggies that withstand high temperature but still cook quickly are the best like peppers, eggplant, onion, broccoli etc. Lastly don’t overcrowd the pan which causes the veggies to steam instead of sear.Today’s recipe uses simple vegetables bok choy and red bell pepper. Stir fry sauce is made with veggie broth, soy sauce, sherry and vegetarian oyster sauce to give a thick, full flavored sauce.Instead of serving the stir fry with rice or noodles, here it is served over crispy panfried noodle cake. Fresh Chinese noodles are cooked through and then packed into a nonstick skillet to get a crispy and crunchy exterior with the tender and chewy center. I totally loved this colorful and delicious stir fry. The noodle cake had amazing texture and the saucy stir fried veggies make this dish a winner.
Stir fried Bok Choy with Noodle Cake
For the Noodle Cake & Vegetables
- 8 oz. Fresh Chinese Noodles (make sure they are not made with eggs for vegan version)
- 3 Scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Freshly grated ginger
- 2 Garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 Small head Bok Choy, stalks cut in ¼" slices and greens cut into ½" strips
- 1 Medium Red Pepper, cut into ¼"strips
- To taste salt
For the Stir Fry Sauce:
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Vegetarian Oyster Sauce
- 2 tsp Dry Sherry
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- To taste Red Pepper flakes
Make the Sauce:
- Whisk all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl.
For the Noodle Cake and Vegetables:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the noodles and 1tbsp slt and cook, stirring often, about 2~3 minutes. Make sure not to overcook.
- Drain thoroughly. Add scallions and ½tsp salt to the noodles. Toss well to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and keep ready.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet with 2tbsp oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the noodles and press into cake with spatula. Cook until crisp and golden brown on the bottom, about 5~8 minutes.
- Slide the cake onto a large plate. Add 1tbsp more oil to the pan; invert the cake to cook the other side. Cook for 5~8 minutes or until crisp and golden. Slide the cake onto the prepared wire rack and place it in the oven to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1tbsp oil to the same pan, along with ginger, garlic and cook till fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Next add the bok choy stalks and bell pepper; cook until crisp-tender about 2~3 minutes.
- Stir in bok choy greens and cook till wilted about 1~2 minutes.
- Add the sauce and cook till thickened, about 1 minute. Serve hot over noodle cake.