Blogging Marathon# 26: Week 3/ Day 3
Theme: Pick 1 ingredient and Cook from 3 books — Dessert
Dish: Sweet Corn & Coconut Pudding
I have been watching a lot of Indian cooking shows lately and it looks like ‘sweet corn aka American corn‘ is the latest ‘hot’ ingredient. Recipes ranging from breakfast upma to filling biryanis/ kurmas and desserts are being made with this versatile ingredient. Though I found it hard to find a dessert recipe with corn in my cookbooks, I would have definitely found a dessert recipe on one of the cooking shows.
Sweet Corn & Coconut Pudding
- 3 cups Corn Fresh kernels
- 1 Coconut milk (14oz. can) of
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 2 3 Cinnamon " sticks
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Almond Rice Soy milk or or
- 2 tbsp Corn starch
- ¼ cup Cornmeal Yellow
- ½ Lemon zest lemon of the - (I used lime zest)
- 1½ tsps Vanilla extract
- Grind corn kernels along with coconut milk and sugar until smooth; it's OK if some corn texture remains.
- Pour into a saucepan, add the cinnamon sticks and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat to low and simmer the mixture for 20 minutes.
- In a measuring cup, whisk almond milk with corn starch and then stir in the cornmeal.
- Pour into the simmering corn mixture and whisk rapidly until smooth. Add the grated lemon zest and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring constantly, until the pudding resembles polenta like consistency (thin upma like). Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Pour into individual ramekins or a large single serving glass bowl, sprinkle with ground cinnamon and let cool for 15 minutes. Serve slightly warm or let cool completely for a thicker pudding.