Vegan Mofo Day 9:
I love making dal with greens, I think greens make dal special, yummy & nutritious. I used a combination of moong and masoor dal (red lentils), but toor dal can be used too. I pressure cook the greens and tomatoes with dal, but dal & the veggies can be cooked separately too (it just takes longer to cook).
Swiss Chard & Tomato Dal
- 1 cup Masoor dal (Red Lentils)
- ½ cup Moong dal (split yellow colored)
- 3 cups Chard Swiss – about , chopped roughly (half of a medium size bunch)
- 2 Tomatoes – medium
- 2 chilies Green – slit
- 2 tbsps Tamarind pulp
- ½ tsp Chili powder Red – (or more to taste)
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 6 - 8 Curry leaves
- 1 - 2 Red Chili Dry
- Rinse dals and cook with 3-4 cups of water in pressure cooker. I put the greens, tomatoes and chilies in the pressure cooker in a separate container along with the dal. Cook on medium flame for 4-5 whistles. Wait till the pressure is completely released.
- In a saucepan, heat 1tsp oil; add the tempering ingredients and once the seeds start to splutter, add the cooked greens and mix well.
- Next add dal, turmeric, tamarind, red chili powder, salt and 1-2 cups of water (depepnding on the desired consistency). Bring to a boil and simmer on medium-low flame for 10 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice or roti or slurp it as soup.