BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines
Week 3: Gujarati Cuisine
Day 20: T for Tameta Muthiya nu Shaak
Recipe from Tarla Dalal.com:
I made Palak-Methi muthiyas — steamed this time to add to the tomato shaak. Even the fried muthiyas would work just as good in this recipe. I made a similar Gujarati tomato curry with sev for one of the previous BMs.
I make tomato curry quite often, but adding muthiyas to it makes it special enough to serve even for guests. Make the muthiyas ahead of time and put them in the curry just before serving. This dish can be served withe either rice or roti for a yummy meal.
Tameta Muthiya nu Shaak
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ Ginger " piece, finely grated
- 4 ~ 6 Curry leaves
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Coriander Ground
- 1 tsp Cumin Ground
- 1 tsp Sugar (optional)
- ½ tsp~1 tsp Chili powder Red
- To taste Salt
- Prepare Palak Methi muthiyas.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter, add the curry leaves, ginger and asafoetida and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric, ground coriander, ground cumin, red chili powder, sugar, salt and 1/2cup of water.
- Cover and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Just before serving, add the palak methi muthiyas, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for another minute.
- Serve right away with rotlis.