Blogging Marathon# 66: Week 2/ Day 3
Dish: Thai Tofu Pizza on Spelt Crust
No rise instant pizza crusts seem to be the common theme for all three days this week (check out the instant-pizza crust and chickpea flour crust). This spelt flour pizza base doesn’t need any rising time and is ready to roll once you have the topping done. Richa’s original recipe has BBQ tofu topping, but I used the Thai style peanut-Tofu instead.
I was skeptical how the family would react to this quite unusual pizza. To be on the safe side, I made a tomato and cheese pizza for the kids on the same spelt base. They loved the crispy thin crust and my son wanted me to make it again very soon. So the crust is a keeper.
As for the peanut topping, my husband loved it a lot. It’s spicy, sweet and well peanutty 🙂 I can see myself making this topping very often now. There’s far less guilt-factor eating this pizza than eating a regular one. So this recipe goes straight into my favorite folder 🙂
Thai Tofu Pizza on Spelt Crust
For Spelt Pizza Crust:
- 3/4 cup Spelt flour
- 2 tsps Yeast Instant
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Corn starch Arrowroot or starch
- 2 tsps Extra virgin Olive oil
- 1/4 ~ 1/2 cup Water Warm
For Thai Tofu:
- 7 oz Firm Tofu . (half of a package) Extra firm or , drained, pressed and crumbled
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese Grated (use vegan cheese for a vegan pizza option)
- 1 cup Broccoli Chopped
- 3 Scallion , thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Peanuts Roasted , chopped
For the Peanut Sauce:
- 3 tbsps Peanut Butter Creamy
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 clove Garlic , finely minced
- 1/2 Ginger " piece, finely grated
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Agave Honey Nectar or
- 1 tsp Chili garlic sauce
Make the Dough:
- In a bowl, combine flour, yeast, corn starch (arrowroot starch), salt, maple syrup, extra virgin olive oil and 1/4cup water. Mix and knead to form a smooth dough. Add more water 1tbsp at a time, if needed. Cover and set the bowl near the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
Prepare Peanut Sauce:
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the peanut sauce. Whisk until the sauce is smooth.
- Prepare Thai Tofu: Heat oil in a nonstick skillet, add the crumbled tofu along with 3tbsp peanut sauce. Cook on medium high heat, stirring frequently, until tofu is crispy, about 5~7 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into 12~13" round or oval shape. Place it on the prepared baking sheet. Spread the remaining peanut sauce over the crust and top with sauteed tofu, cheese, broccoli and scallions.
- Bake in the oven for 10~12 minutes or until the crust is slightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven. Sprinkle chopped peanuts and more scallions, slice ad serve.