Blogging Marathon# 41: Week 4/ Day 2
Theme: BM Pair (Sujatha Ram)
Dish: Thengai Paal Kootu
Today’s dish from Sujatha’s blog is a super simple, yet very delicious mixed veg curry cooked in coconut milk. Veggies are cooked in coconut milk and flavored with sambar powder — it’s that simple, but the flavor both these ingredients infuse into the veggies is just amazing.
I wanted to speed up the process a little, so I precooked the veggies in the microwave and then finished cooking on the stove with coconut milk. This dish is very similar to the Kerala vegetable stew, but the sambar powder makes this a completely different dish.
Recipe adapted from here:
Thengai Paal Kootu (Mixed Vegetables in Coconut Milk Gravy)
- 2 Potato - medium, peeled and cut into long slices
- 1 Carrot - medium, peeled and cut into long slices
- ½ cup Green Peas
- 1 Onion - small, thinly sliced
- 1 Ginger " - piece, finely grated
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1½ cups Coconut Milk
- ¼ cup Coconut Cream
- to taste Salt
- Microwave the veggies until just tender.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a saute pan; add the onions and grated ginger, cook till onions are just translucent. Don't let the onions change color.
- Next add the other veggies along with coconut milk, sambar powder, turmeric and salt. Simmer till the veggies are cooked through.
- Finally add the coconut cream and cook for 2~3 minutes.