Summer is over and with the autumnal equinox on September 23, fall is officially here. It is slowly getting chillier and the days are getting shorter. Well that almost marks the end for outdoor grills and pool-side parties; it is the beginning for warm soups and hot ovens.
- 16 oz tomatoes . canned Chopped (I used roasted garlic flavor)
- 16 oz Tomato sauce . canned
- 1 cup Mint – chopped (about half a bunch)
- 1 Onion – small, chopped
- 1 Celery – stalk, chopped
- 2 Carrots – medium, diced
- 1 to 2 cloves Garlic
- 16 oz vegetable broth . canned Low-sodium
- 3 tbsps Cayenne pepper sauce Hot sauce / Hot (or to taste)
- 2 tbsps Sour cream Cream / (optional)
- to taste Salt Pepper and
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Drain the chopped tomatoes and save the liquid. Roast them with 1 tbsp olive oil for above 15minutes or until slightly caramelized.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a sauce pan; add onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Let the veggies sweat for about 10-15 minutes on medium-low flame.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven, add the reserved liquid and pick up any bits stuck to the pan.
- Add roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, ¾ cup mint, broth, 1 cup water, hot sauce and seasoning. Raise the flame to medium-high and bring the mixture to a slow simmer. Reduce the flame and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend the soup (using an immersion blender or regular blender) to a smooth consistency.
- Put the soup back on flame; add sour cream/cream and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the remaining mint. Stir well, adjust the seasoning and serve hot with crusty bread.