This homemade Vegan Garlic bread is packed with garlic flavor and is so quick and easy to make.
For the final day of this week’s ‘adapted cuisine in different country’ theme, I have a vegan garlic bread recipe. I always thought garlic bread which is served with Italian dishes is an Italian tradition. Apparently it is an American creation which has now become synonymous to Italian food here in the US.
Italian Toasted Bread:
Italians make Bruschetta — which is basically toasted bread rubbed with garlic clove and topped with fresh tomatoes. But they don’t overdo the garlic or the butter, in fact bruschetta is made with olive oil and not butter. Also they serve it as an appetizer and not as a side dish to pizza.
American Garlic Bread:
Well Italian or not, this garlic bread is a delicious dish by itself. This vegan version is quite easy to make. Use vegan butter instead of regular butter along with some good quality extra virgin olive oil to make a tasty garlic bread.
Toasting/ baking the bread infuses it with flavor and makes it crispy and extra yummy. I served it with a side of vegan Caesar salad and it was a simple and filling meal. Great to make during the holidays too.
Vegan Garlic Bread
- 1 Loaf of Italian or French Bread
- 4 tbsp Vegan Butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tbsp Parsley, finely chopped
- To taste Salt Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Cut the bread into half lengthwise. Place on the baking sheet.
- Melt butter and olive oil in a small saucepan. Add the minced garlic cloves and parsley. Heat till the butter has melted and starts to smell fragrant.
- Brush the cut sides of the bread generously with garlic butter. Season with salt and pepper. Close the bread and slice crosswise, making sure not to cut the loaf all the way through. This will help in cutting the bread after baking.
- Tightly wrap the bread with the parchment paper or foil and bake for 10 minutes. Open the foil or parchment and bake for another 3~4 minutes or until nice and toasty.
- Remove from the oven and cut into pieces and serve.