I am not a big breakfast eater. I pack me a pb&j sandwich or eat my cereal at work. Weekends used to be no different, wake up late, skip breakfast, eat lunch. But with the baby in the house, we are waking up bright and early even on the weekends (actually we are forced out of the bed by the little one). Since I have to make him breakfast, I started making for us too.
This weekend I made these vegan pancakes from Vegan with a vengeance by Isa Chandra. They were really very good, fluffy and cakey. My son definitely loved them.
Recipe adapted from Vegan with a Vengeance.
- 1 ¼ cups All-purpose flour
- 2 tsps Baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 to 1 ¼ cups Soy milk Rice milk /
- 1/3 cup Water
- 2 tbsps Canola oil – plus oil for the pan
- 2 tbsps Maple syrup Pure *
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- Sift AP flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl (I use a measuring cup), mix all the other ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Do not overmix or the pancakes will be tough; few lumps are OK.
- Oil a large skillet (I pour about 2tsp oil and quickly wipe the oil on the skillet with a paper towel) and pre-heat on medium-high flame.
- Cook pancakes until browned on the bottom and bubbles form on the top; about 4 minutes. Turn the pancakes over and cook until the bottoms are browned. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with maple syrup* or fruit preserves.
- 1 cup of blueberries can be added to make blueberry pancakes.