Vegetable bhath is something my mom always made at home and I make it too when I have some time on hand and want to serve something other than fried rice or biryani. I posted vegetable bhath recipe way back in 2008 and coincidentally that was also during the month of October for Veganmofo. I’m updating the post with a better picture.
I made some Vegan Sooji Halwa as offering to Durga.
- 1 cup Sooji (Semolina)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 cups Water (I used 1cup each of Rice Milk and )
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp Almonds
- 2 tbsp Raisins
- Heat 1tbsp vegan "butter" (I used Earth Balance Soy free spreadable butter) and 1tsp oil in a a wide bottomed saute pan; add almonds and raisins and fry until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add 1tbsp vegan "butter" and saute sooji (semolina) until it is lightly browned.
- Remove sooji into a bowl and add the sugar and mix well.
- In the same pan, bring water (or a combination of water and milk) to a boil; slowly add in the sooji and sugar mixture and let cook on low flame until cooked through.
- Add the cardamom powder and fried almonds & raisins. Remove from heat and serve.