The latest addition to my bursting at the seam kitchen cabinet/ counter is a Hamilton Beach Slow cooker. I borrowed this Vegetarian slow cooker cookbook from the library to get a better understanding of what and how to cook in a slow cooker. I decided to make vegetable vindaloo as my first dish in the slow cooker.
- 1 Potatoes – medium, chopped
- 2 Carrots – small, thinly sliced
- 1 Capsicum – medium, diced
- 2 ¼ Zucchini “ – small, sliced into pieces
- 2 cups Cauliflower – chopped into small florets
- 1 Onion – large, chopped
- 1½ cups Kidney Beans – cooked or 1 15 oz. cans
- 8 oz Tomato Sauce . canned
For the Masala paste:
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Coriander Ground
- ½ tsp Cumin Ground
- pinch Turmeric
- 1 tbsp White Wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- Blend all the masala paste ingredients into a smooth paste; keep aside.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat oil and add onions and carrots. Cover and cook till tender about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions mixture to the slow cooker and start it on Low and cook for 1 minute. Add the masala paste, all the other veggies including the beans, tomato sauce and 1½ cups of warm water. Mix well; season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours (We came back after around 4 hours of cooking and I got a little impatient with slow cooking, so I cranked up to High and cooked for 1 hour.)
- Serve with Rice (I made Pudina Rice w/ Peas) or roti.
On another note, my son is turning ONE on Monday.. OMG.. I cannot believe this past year flew by so fast. I still think he’s this tiny little bundle that the nurse showed me in OT right after he was born. Now he’s crawling around the house pulling everything he can reach. This is him arranging my books (or pulling down the house??)I still remember waiting for him in the hospital room waiting to hold him. And now I can’t wait to see his smiling/ giggling face when I pick him from the day care. This is him
I still remember how disappointed I was when the nurse said he looks just like his father (and nothing like me). And now I see a little of both of us in him and also this little human being with his own personality. I wish time just takes it a little easy.. He's already leafing through the books (or ready to tear it apart). I’m planning to make vanilla and chocolate cupcakes for kids in his daycare and Carrot cupcakes for us at home. Will post pics of the cupcakes soon.