Blogging Marathon# 30: Week 2/ Day 1
Theme: Get it Rolled
Dish: Summer Rolls (Vietnamese Rolls)
We are starting our 2nd of Blogging Marathon# 30 today and my theme for this week is “Get it Rolled”. Any dish that is cooked rolled or served as a roll. Summer rolls were the first thing that came to my mind and with the temperatures soaring in the 90s (degree Fahrenheit), these are perfect no-cook rolls that are filling, healthy and delicious. They are salad rolled up into a portable package — easy to eat and very convenient.
Summer rolls are very versatile and any of your favorite veggies can be used. I followed Nupur’s recipe for Summer rolls. The spicy peanut dipping sauce is to die for — its salty, spicy, sweet and very addictive.
Prepping all the ingredients is the most time taking and important step in making these rolls. Once you have the ingredients handy and ready to go, these take just minutes to make. They are great to make ahead and are perfect for picnics and Summer parties.
Here’s how I made the Summer rolls:
Vegetarian Summer Rolls
For Summer Rolls:
- 1 Carrot - small, peeled and grated
- 1 Cucumber - small, cut into thin slices (if using regular cucumber, then peel and remove the seeds)
- 1 8 oz Tofu . Baked (I used Oriental flavor baked tofu. Nupur's recipe has instructions for making your own spicy fried tofu)
- 3 tbsps Peanuts Roasted Unsalted - chopped (I didn't add these)
For Dipping Sauce:
- 2 tbsps Peanut Butter
- 3 tbsps Soy sauce Low sodium
- 1 tbsp Agave Nectar
- 1 tbsp Sambal Oelek
- 2 tbsps Lemon juice
- Make the Dipping Sauce: Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and adjust accordingly.
- For the summer rolls: Combine all the veggies and herbs in a bowl and keep ready. Chop tofu into 1-2" pieces and set aside.
- In a pie plate or other shallow bowl/ plate, take hot water. Dip each spring roll wrapper in the water for about 3-5 seconds. Remove and place it on a clean work surface or kitchen towel or a plate. Place a handful of the veggie filling on the lower half of the spring roll, top it with the chopped tofu pieces and drizzle some dipping sauce on top.
- Cover the filling with the wrapper that is closest to you (bottom of the wrapper), then fold the sides over like an envelope. Finally roll from bottom to top into a cigar shaped tight roll. Repeat with the rest of the rolls.