Blogging Marathon# 26: Week 1/ Day 2
Theme: Goan Cuisine
Dish: Eggplant & Mushroom Vindaloo
For Day 2 under “Goan Cuisine” for BM# 26, I made Vindaloo with Eggplant, mushrooms and red pepper. A little bit of Wiki gyan (knowledge) about Vindaloo — “Vindaloo is derived from a Portuguese dish named “Carne de Vinha d’ Alhos” which is usually made with pork, red wine and garlic.The Goans modified the dish by using vinegar for the red wine and kashmiri chilies and additional spices.”
When I saw this recipe Eggplant and Mushroom Vindaloo on Vaishali’s blog, I wanted to try it myself to see how it tastes. This recipe uses balsamic vinegar instead of white vinegar and that sounded delicious to me. Balsamic vinegar gives the dish a mildly sweet tangy flavor that goes great with the veggies. I add balsamic to my roasted veggies, so I know it tastes amazing. I wasn’t disappointed at all. When I tasted the dish, there was a party of flavors in my mouth. Its tangy, spicy, sour, sweet, all at the same time.
Here’s how I made the dish. Vaishali’s original recipe can be found here.
Vegetarian Vindaloo with Eggplant & Mushroom
For the Curry:
- 1 Eggplant - I used an Italian eggplant medium , chopped into large pieces
- 1 Red Pepper - medium, chopped into large pieces
- 8 , quartered Mushrooms if - halved or large (I used cremini or brown mushrooms)
- 1 Red Onion - large, chopped
- ½ cup tomatoes Crushed
- 1 Cinnamon " stick
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 4 Spring Onions - both green and white parts chopped
- 3 tbsps Cilantro - finely chopped
- to taste Salt
For the Marinade:
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 Ginger " - piece
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin Olive oil
- 2 tsps Coriander Ground
- 2 tsp Mustard seeds Ground
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds Ground
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp chili powder Red
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Prepare the Marinade: Grind all the ingredients listed under Marinade along with 2-3tbsp water.
- Marinate the Veggies: Marinate eggplant, pepper and mushrooms in the marinade for 1 hour.
- Make the Curry: Heat 2tbsp oil in a large pan; add the onions and cook until they turn golden brown on medium flame, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add marinated veggies along with the marinade. Cook on medium flame for 5-8 minutes.
- Then add crushed tomatoes and cinnamon stick, cook on medium-low flame, covered for 35-40 minutes or until the veggies are completely tender.
- Finally add the mustard seeds, check the seasoning. Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onions. Serve with steamed rice or bread.