For Day 5 of BM# 10 under Winter Special theme, I have a very comforting and hearty combo, Ven Pongal & Gosthu. I’m sure these dishes are made all year round, but a hot bowl of pongal with the hearty vegetable & lentil curry just warms you up from within, making it a very special winter dish in my opinion.
Recipe for Ven Pongal is adapted from Chandra Padmanabhan’s Dakshin cookbook and I made Suganya’s gosthu to go along with it. A perfect way to end a looong day of shopping.
- ½ cup Moong dal
- 1 cup Rice (I used Sona masoori rice)
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Peppercorns (or to taste)
- 1 tsp Cumin Ground
- to taste Salt
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 2 Ginger " - finely grated
- 3 chilies Green - slit
- Curry leaves - few
- Coarsely grind peppercorns and cumin seeds and set aside.
- Roast moong dal and rice separately. Mix together, wash well and cook along with turmeric and 4½cups of water for 3-4 whistles or until both rice and lentil are very soft.
- Heat 2tbsp ghee and 1tbsp oil in a large saucepan, add the cumin-pepper powder and all the tempering ingredients and once the seeds start changing color, add the cooked rice mixture along with salt.
- Add ½cup of water if necessary to get to a porridge like consistency.