Blogging Marathon# 35: Week 3/ Day 2
Theme: Kid’s Delight — Cooking with Whole Grains
Dish: Snack — Whole wheat Banana & Walnut Bread
For Day 2 of BM# 35, I made banana bread with 100% whole wheat. My son loves banana bread and I already have more than enough banana bread recipes in my blog, but I still keep looking for more banana bread recipes 🙂 I have always used half and half all purpose flour and whole wheat flour in the past, but this bread is made completely with whole wheat flour.
I used egg replacer instead of eggs. I have been baking more eggless recipes with egg replacer powder these days and I’m really happy with the results. If you are into eggless baking, then investing in a bag of egg replacer powder is completely worth the money. It stays fresh for a very long time in the fridge, so eggless bakes are at your finger tips at any time.
Whole Wheat Banana & Walnut Bread
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter - softened (1 stick)
- ½ cup Dark Brown Sugar Light or
- ¾ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ½ tsp Cinnamon Ground
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg Ground
- 1½ cups bananas Mashed (about 3 medium very ripe )
- ¼ cup Honey
- 2 Eggs Large (or 2tbsp egg replacer whisked with 6tbsp water)
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour (I used KAF white whole wheat flour)
- ½ cup Walnuts - chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9"x5" loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Beat the butter, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add the banana, honey and eggs, beating until smooth.
- Add the flour and nuts, stirring until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and let it rest for room temperature, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Bake the bread for 50 minutes. Lay a piece of foil gently across the top, and bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean, 10~15 minutes more.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before turning it out of the pan onto a wire rack to cool completely.