Bake-a-thon 2015: Day 5
Bake of the Day: Wholewheat Banana Bread
Even with all this I end up with 3~4 overripe bananas by the end of the week. I have so many versions of banana breads/ muffins that making another one doesn’t excite me that much. But this recipe from Cookie+Kate is made with wholewheat (pastry) flour and is sweetened with honey (or maple syrup) got me off my behind and into the kitchen to bake.
Love these quick breads that require just one bowl and some elbow grease. This bread is very moist and has a beautiful crumb. It is great to have for breakfast or as any-time snack.
Recipe from Cookie and Kate:
Wholewheat Banana Bread
- 1¾ cups Wholewheat Pastry flour wholewheat flour or regular
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Olive oil coconut oil or melted
- ½ cup Honey Maple Syrup or
- 1 cup Bananas , mashed (about 2~3 medium sized bananas)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Eggs Large (I used 2tbsp egg replacer whisked with 6tbsp water)
- ½ cup Nuts Chopped (I added almonds and raisins)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- Combine flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat oil and honey (or maple syrup) together. Add the eggs (or egg replacer mixture) and beat well.
- Stir in the mashed bananas and vanilla, then stir in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Bake for 50 minutes to an 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack until completely cooled before slicing.