I planted a zucchini plant in my raised vegetable bed this year. It started flowering beginning of July and I was hoping for a bumper crop of zucchini. Little did I know that not all flowers become fruit. With no zucchini in sight even after 3~4 weeks, I started to panic. A quick google search even led me to think that there were no bees in our area to pollinate the flowers and I might end up zucchini-less after all. Then one day I saw these 2 big ones — not sure how I missed them the whole time. Then the next day I found a gigantic 13″ one — I might have to get my glasses checked now. I’m glad that my zucchini story ended on a positive note. Not sure if I’ll get more though — I see flowers but no tiny or big zucchinis 🙁
The tiny bit of ground nutmeg and lemon zest show off the zucchini and if you use white whole wheat flour instead of the traditional flour, gives the bread a beautiful light golden color. It is great to serve for breakfast or as a quick snack.
Wholewheat Zucchini Bread
- 2 cups Wholewheat flour
- 1 cup Bread flour
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg Ground
- 2 Eggs Large (I used 2tbsp egg replacer whisked in 6tbsp water)
- ¾ cup Milk (any dairy or non-dairy milk would work)
- 1½ cups Zucchini , grated
- ½ cup Raisins
- ½ cup Walnuts , chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon zest , grated
- Preheat 350°F. Lightly grease a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- Whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the eggs (or egg replacer mixture), milk and oil in a small bowl.
- Stir in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until everything is evenly moistened; stir in the zucchini, raisins, walnuts and lemon zest.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 15 minutes before taking it out of the pan and purring it on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Almond and Carrot Biscuits from Basic N Delicious
- Cheddar Mielie Bread with Sun-Dried Tomatoes from Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Bread Pudding from Bakers and Best
- Eggless Rosemary Garlic Dinner Rolls from Spill the Spices
- Garden Herb Focaccia from My Catholic Kitchen
- Herb and Cheese Biscuits from Gayathri's Cook Spot
- Herb and Cheese Grissini from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Herbed Butterflaps from Sneha's Recipe
- Herbs, Spinach and Cheese Bourekas from Cooking Club
- Jalapeño Summer Squash Quick Bread from Magnolia Days
- Mango Kolache from Mayuri's Jikoni
- Peach & Blueberry Meringue Pull Apart Bread from Passion Kneaded
- Peach Pull-Apart Bread from Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Peaches and Cream Bread from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Pizza Cipolla - Onion Pizza from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Rosemary and Garlic Fougasse from Spice Roots
- Rosemary Breadsticks from A Baker's House
- Spinach Semolina Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Studded Zucchini Yeast Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Sundried Tomato Focaccia with Sauteed Summer Veggies & Garden Salad from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Tomato, Onion, Parmesan Focaccia from Noshing With The Nolands
- Walnut Oat Crumble Courgette Bread from Baking in Pyjamas
- Wholewheat Onion, Spinach & Red Pepper Bread from Hostess At Heart
- Wholewheat Zucchini Bread from Cook's Hideout
- Zucchini Oatmeal Bread from Cali's Cuisine
- Zucchini/Jalapeño/Cheese Corn Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm