Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie
Individual Vegan Chocolate Cream Pies are deconstructed and plant based version of the classic chocolate cream pie.
Vegan Chocolate Pudding:
- 1/3~½* cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp Divine Cocoa powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1¼ cups Almond Milk
- 1¼ cups Almond or Coconut Creamer
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract or ½tsp Vanilla bean paste
- 1 bar (5.3oz) Semi Sweet Chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used Divine Semi sweet 55% baking bar)
- 1 tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 2 tbsp Vegan Butter, melted
- 2 cups Coconut whipped cream* or Almond whipped cream (store bought)
- As needed Chocolate shavings, for garnish
Make Vegan Chocolate Pudding:
In a medium heavy pan, whisk sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Slowly whisk in the milk and cream and vanilla bean extract (if using). Make sure there are no lumps.
Slowly bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat while whisking constantly.
Lower the heat to a simmer cover and simmer gently for 8~10 minutes or until the pudding begins to thicken. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla extract.
Let the pudding cool completely.
Prep other layers:
In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Mix well to combine.
Make coconut cream frosting* or use store bought vegan frosting.
- If you want the pudding to be on the sweet side, increase sugar to ½ cup.
- If you don't have access to vegan creamer, then use the same quantity of almond or other plant based milk. The pudding may take slightly longer to thicken.
- Refrigerate a can of full fat coconut milk overnight. Open and scoop out the now thickened coconut cream into a mixing bowl. The clear coconut water can be used in soups, smoothies etc.