Mixed Millet & Grains Upma
Mixed Millet & Grains Upma is a healthy and nutritious dish that is perfect for a filling breakfast or a light lunch.
For the Upma:
- ½ cup Mixed Millets & Grains mix*
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 2~3 Green Chilies, finely chopped
- 1" Ginger, grated
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 Small Carrot, peeled and grated or chopped fine
- ¼ cup Cabbage, finely chopped
- To taste salt
- 1½ tsp Oil
For the tempering:
- 1 tsp Oil (or ghee or a combination of both)
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 4~6 curry leaves
- 1 tsp Sesame seeds
In a medium bowl, combine mixed millets rawa, yogurt and water. Mix well and add in the green chilies, ginger, turmeric and salt.
Saute carrot and cabbage in ½tsp oil until slightly tender. Add to the millets mixture and mix well. Set aside for 10~15 minutes.
Heat oil in a pan, add the millet mixture and cook covered on medium-low flame until the millets are cooked through and tender, about 15 minutes.
Heat the oil for tempering and add cumin & mustard seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter, add curry leaves and sesame seeds. Turn off the heat and add the tempering to upma. Mix well and serve hot!!
- Use a combination of jowar, ragi, bajra, maize and wheat rawa.