Indian Style Coconut Rice Noodles
This Indian style Coconut Rice noodles recipe is a quick and easy recipe. It is perfect to make for quick breakfast or lunch. Toasted Coconut adds lots of flavor to the dish.
- 1 lb. Rice Noodles, dried or fresh
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal
- 3 tbsp Cashews
- 1 Medium Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 3~4 Thai Green or Red Chilies
- 8~10 Curry leaves
- 1 cup Fresh grated coconut or use ½ cup dried coconut*
- To taste Salt
Break the rice noodles into 3" pieces. Cook them as per package instructions. I used dried noodles. I put them in boiling water, turned off the heat and covered the pan and left it for 3~4 minutes. Drained and rinsed with cold water. Then keep aside until ready to use.
In a large skillet, heat oil on medium flame. Add the mustard seeds and once they start to pop, add the urad dal and cashews. Cook until they are golden brown.
Add the onions, curry leaves green chilies and cook for 3~4 minutes or until the onion is lightly browned around the edges.
Add the grated coconut and stir fry 1~2 minutes or until the coconut turns golden brown.
Stir in the cooked rice noodles and salt. Toss to make sure all the ingredients are well combined and the noodles are heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve right away.
- If using fresh noodles - add the noodles to boiling water, soak for 30 seconds. Drain, rinse with cold water. Make sure not to soak the noodles for too long.
- If using dried coconut, then soak it in hot water for at least 15 minutes. Drain and use as needed.