Detroit Style Cheese Pizza
Detroit Style Cheese Pizza is a cheesy and delicious dish that is sure to WOW everyone. Chewy crust, yummy tomato sauce and cheesy top -- perfect pizza for any time of the day!!
For the Crust:
- 1 cup All purpose flour*
- ½ tsp Instant Yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup Warm Water
For the Tomato Sauce:
- 2 cups Tomato puree
- 1 Garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- To taste Salt Pepper
- ¼ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 cup Pepper jack cheese, grated
- Pinch of Dried Oregano
Prep the Dough:
Combine all the ingredients for the crust in a mixing bowl. Mix and knead to form a soft, pliable dough. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and set aside for 15~20 minutes.
Lightly grease a 8" or 9" square baking pan. Line the bottom with parchment and grease it lightly.
Transfer the dough into the pan and spread it out in the bottom of the pan till the edges. Cover and let the dough rise until it is ½" thick.
Make the Pizza:
Preheat the oven with 450°F. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese along the edges of the pizza. Spoon sauce over the pizza and top it with the pepper jack and mozzarella cheeses. Bake for 15 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is golden brown.
Remove the pan from the oven. Use a knife to loosen the edges of the pizza and slide it onto a wire rack to cool slightly. Slice the pizza and serve with more tomato sauce on the top. Enjoy!!
- I usually add ¼ cup of White Whole wheat flour to the dough for fiber and nutrition.
- Pepper jack, monterey jack or muenster cheeses as good substitute to brick cheese.
- Blend 4~5 medium size fresh tomatoes to make the puree.