Tikel Gomen | Ethiopian Cabbage
Tikel Gomen is a delicious Ethiopian cabbage and potato dish that is packed with lots of flavor. It is great to serve with Injera or Teff flatbread.
- 2~3 tablespoons Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1" piece Ginger, finely grated
- ½ head Cabbage, chopped about 3~4 cups
- 2 Medium Carrots, peeled and cubed
- 2 Medium Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 Green chilies/ Jalapenos, slit
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- To taste Salt & Pepper
Heat oil in a saute pan, add onions,ginger, garlic and green chilies. Cook until onions start to turn translucent.
Next add carrots, potatoes and cabbage along with turmeric. Mix well.
Cover and cook until potatoes are tender and cabbage is cooked, about 10~12 minutes.
Add cumin, salt and pepper.
Mix well and cook for 3~4 minutes. Serve with Injera or along with rice.
- I usually buy savoy cabbage because I like it better than green or white variety. But feel free to use any cabbage – even purple cabbage would be great in this recipe.
- Any type of potatoes - russet, yukon or red - would work in this recipe.
- If you don’t have fresh ginger, then use about 1 teaspoon of ground ginger.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.