Did you ever have to fight with your 2 year old for anything? I did, this morning with my 2 year old to have him put on a heavier winter jacket, but he wanted his lightweight hoodie. I was pleading, begging, coercing, even threatening him to wear the jacket, but he did not budge, he was crying but he wouldn’t do it.. At the end of it I was totally exhausted and upset and wasn’t sure how and when he got this stubborn. I guess its part of growing up. After getting to work, I was talking to my manager about what happened and she mentioned about her 12 year old son who wears only sweat shirts to school and doesn’t want to wear a jacket. I thought to myself this fight is going to go on for a very long time – though in different ways, I guess I’ve to start getting used to it.
Coming to today’s recipe, I had zucchini soup in a restaurant called Crisp in NYC and really loved it. It’s a very simple dish with just zucchini, onion, herbs & broth-very flavorful and healthy too. I used sage to flavor the soup, but feel free to use any herb you have on hand.
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Small Onion, chopped
- 2 Medium Zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups Vegetable broth
- ¼ cup Milk (optional)
- 2 tbsps Sage, finely chopped
- To taste Salt & Pepper
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a saucepan; add garlic & onions and cook till the onions are translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add zucchini; cover and cook for 5 minutes till they are slightly tender.
- Add sage & broth; bring to a boil; lower the heat and simmer till the veggie is completely cooked, this shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
- You can add milk and simmer for another 3 minutes at this stage to make the soup a little creamy, I added 2% milk.
- Use an immersion blender and puree the soup to the consistency of your liking, I left it a little chunky (or use the blender instead). Serve hot with some bread and salad.