Stuffed Okra Curry
This spicy stuffed okra curry is an inviting and delicious dish. Okra is stuffed with a spice powder and then served with a lip smacking tomato gravy.
- 12 ~ 15 Okra/ Bhindi/ Bendakaya
For the Spice powder:
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsps Coriander seeds
- 2 ~ 3 Dry red chilies
- 1 tbsp Dry grated coconut
- 2 tbsps Roasted peanuts
For the Tomato gravy:
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Green Chilies, slit
- 1 tsp Ginger+garlic paste
- 1 cup Tomato Puree
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder (adjust per taste)
- To taste Salt
Make the Spice Powder:
Dry roast cumin seeds, coriander seeds, dry red chilies until fragrant. Add dry grated coconut and roast until lightly browned. Cool and grind along with the roasted peanuts until a coarse powder forms.
Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan, add the okra/ bhindi and saute till tender, about 12~15 minutes. Remove from the pan and wait till cool enough to handle.
Make a slit in the center of each okra making sure not to cut all the way through. Stuff with spice powder and set them aside.
Make Tomato gravy:
Heat the remaining 1tbsp oil in a pan, add onion, green chilies, ginger+garlic paste and cook till the onions are lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
Next add the tomato puree, turmeric, salt and red chili powder; cover and simmer for 6~8 minutes or until oil starts to separate around the edges.
- How to prep Okra - wash okra and drain completely. Lay the okra on kitchen towel and dry them off thoroughly. I usually leave them in a single layer on a kitchen towel for a few minutes and then wipe them dry.
- Make the tomato sauce/ gravy can be made up to 2 days in advance.
- Okra needs to stuffed the same day the dish is being served.