Chocolate Custard with Custard Powder
Quick and Easy to make Chocolate custard using store bought custard powder. It's creamy and delicious and is kid friendly.
- 2 cups+3tbsps Milk (preferably whole milk, but 2% will also work)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp Custard powder
- 1 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- As needed Toppings of choice - Oreo cookies, Banana, berries, apple and so on
Combine 2 cups milk and sugar in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and bring to a boil.
In the meantime, whisk custard powder and cocoa in the remaining 3tbsp milk, making sure that there are no lumps.
Once the milk comes to a boil, remove from heat and slowly add the custard powder mixture whisking continuously.
Bring the mixture to a simmer whisking continuously until the mixture thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and mix vanilla extract. Let the mixture cool completely and chill it before serving.
- Custard powder can be substituted with equal amount of cornstarch (aka corn flour) in the recipe.
- Non-dairy milks like almond and oat milks can also be used.
- Make sure to constantly whisk the milk after adding the custard slurry is added to it. This helps to avoid lump formation and also scalding at the bottom of the saucepan.