Quick and Easy to make Chocolate custard using store bought custard powder. It’s creamy and delicious and is kid friendly.
Day 2 of BM# 30 and my theme for this week is “Summer Specials”. This month’s Kid’s Delight event is being hosted by the talented Chef Mireille @ Schizo Chef. So my entry is this creamy and delicious Chocolate Custard made with custard powder.
Kid Friendly Chocolate recipe:
I love this theme because it is crazy hot here and my 5 year old is driving me crazy with his little demands. So I’ve been looking for some kid friendly recipes to please my picky eater. And what is more kid friendly than a recipe with chocolate in it.
Today I made something sweet with one of his favorite ingredients, chocolate. He doesn’t eat vanilla in any form and he wouldn’t even touch the regular custard. So I added some cocoa to custard and made a chocolate version of it and he loved it. I wish I had thought of it earlier!!
Easy Chocolate Custard Recipe:
Chocolate custard is technically made with milk/ cream, egg yolks, sugar and of course chocolate. This involves tempering yolks, to make sure that they don’t curdle and other techniques that might be a little challenging.
So to makes things easy, I use store-bought custard powder. I grew up on custard made from custard powder and didn’t realize that wasn’t authentic until recently. But I still prefer the easy eggfree custard version.
Ingredients for Eggfree Custard Recipe:
All you need is milk/ cream/ heavy cream, sugar, custard powder and unsweetened cocoa. You can make and chill the custard at least 2 days before serving. This makes for a great dessert for kids party or any party, if you ask me.
Custard Serving Ideas:
Make a custard bar, if you will at the party. Serve toppings in individual bowls, so the kids can choose whatever they want. My kids favorites are crushed oreos, mini chocolate chips etc. But healthy options like berries, bananas etc are also great.
Other Recipe Ideas with Custard Powder:
If you bought a jar of custard powder and need recipe ideas to use it, here are a few:
Chocolate Custard with Custard Powder
- 2 cups+3tbsps Milk (I used 2% milk and added about 1/2 cup of cream since I had to use it)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp custard powder
- 1 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- As needed Toppings of choice - Oreo cookies, Banana, berries, apple and so on
- Combine 2 cups milk and sugar in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- In the meantime, whisk custard powder and cocoa in the remaining 3tbsp milk, making sure that there are no lumps.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, remove from heat and slowly add the custard powder mixture whisking continuously.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer whisking continuously until the mixture thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and mix vanilla extract. Let the mixture cool completely and chill it before serving.