Indian Style Nachos
These vegetarian naan-chos or Indian style Nachos are spicy, hearty and delicious. Naan chips are topped with spicy kidney beans and chutneys - delicious!!
Servings: 4 serving
- 4 Whole wheat or Regular Naans
For Rajma Masala:
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Tomato puree or 2~3 medium ripe fresh tomatoes chopped
- ½ tsp Ginger+garlic paste
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red chili powder or Paprika
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Kasoori Methi, crushed
- 15 oz . can Red Kidney Beans kidney beans or 1cup cooked
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- To taste Salt
For Indian Style Guacamole:
- 1 Ripe Avocado, deseeded and mashed
- 1 ~ 3 tbsps Green Chutney (Store bought or homemade)
Other Ingredients & Toppings:
- 1 cup Grated Cheese (I used Mexican blend, but grated Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Pepperjack or Mozzarella would work great)
- As needed Tamarind Chutney
- As needed Red Onion, thinly sliced
- As needed Tomato, seeded and chopped
- As needed Greek Yogurt
- 2 tbsps Cilantro
Make Pita Chips:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush the naans with oil and cut into 6 wedges. Place them in a single on the baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and bake for 10~13 minutes or until they are crispy and crunchy. Turn the sheet halfway through baking for even cooking. Let cool and keep ready. These can be stored in an airtight container for later use as well.
Make Kidney Bean topping:
Heat oil in a skillet, add onion and cook till they turn translucent, about 2~3 minutes. Stir in ginger+garlic paste and cook for another minute.
Add the tomato puree or chopped tomatoes, turmeric, chili powder, ground coriander, crushed kasoori methi and salt. Cover and cook on medium-low flame until oil starts to separate around the edges.
If using canned beans, rinse and drain well. Add to the tomato mixture along with cup of water. Simmer for 5~7 minutes or low flame until the mixture is thick. Add garam masala just before turning off the heat.
Make Spicy Indian style Guacamole:
Assemble the Nachos:
Preheat the broiler. Arrange the naan chips on a baking sheet. Top it with the bean mixture, sprinkle with a lot or little cheese and repeat the layers with more chips, beans and cheese.
Broil for 1~2 minutes. Stay close to the oven and when you see that the cheese is melted, take the tray out of the oven. Cool for 2 minutes.
Top with the spicy guacamole, Greek yogurt, tamarind chutney, red onion, tomatoes and cilantro. Dig in right away.
- Pita Chips can be made up to 2 days in advance. Keep them airtight in a container at room temperature.
- Rajma masala can also be made ahead of time, up to 2 days, and refrigerated until ready to use.
- It is best to make guacamole just before serving to avoid oxidation of avocado.
- Best to eat these hot from the oven.