BM# 72: Week 4/ Day 3
Theme: Dips, Chutneys and Spreads
Dish: Avocado Tomato Chutney
For the final day of this month's blogging marathon, I made an interesting chutney with Avocado and tomato. This has been on my list of dishes to make for a very long time and finally got a chance to make it. recipe is from Spices and Aroma. Avocado oxidizes and discolors very easily when left out. Which is why an acid like lemon juice is added to keep it bright and green. In this recipe, the tomatoes give the necessary acid to keep the chutney from turning weird black color.
I rarely use avocado in Indian preparations and this is probably the best recipe to use it in. It's very much like making any other south Indian chutney as I described in this recipe except that avocado is not cooked. Mashed avocado is ground with the cooked tomato until smooth to make the chutney.Clicking these chutneys has been quite challenging. I made and clicked all this week's chutneys and spreads on one day. It was quite a difficult task to come up with different set ups and also make these blah -- brownish chutneys to look appetizing. I tried my best here 🙂This avocado-tomato chutney is great to serve with rice, upma, idli, dosa and even chips. It keeps well for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Avocado Tomato Chutney
For the Chutney:
- 1 Avocado, pitted and mashed
- 3~4 Medium Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Basil, chopped
- 2~3 Green Chilies, chopped (adjust as per taste preference)
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 2~3 Dry Red chilies
- 2 tsp Tamarind paste
- To taste salt
For the tempering:
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 8~10 curry leaves
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan, add the chana dal and dry red chilies. Saute till the dal turns golden and the chilies turn dark.
- Add the onions, tomatoes, green chilies and garlic cloves. Cover and cook till the tomatoes are mushy, about 10~12 minutes.
- Add the tamarind paste, salt and cook for another 3~4 minutes. Take off the heat and let the mixture cool completely.
- Grind the tomato mixture until smooth. Add the mashed avocado and grind till everything is combined. Remove into a bowl.
- Heat 1tsp oil in a small pan, add the mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. Once the seeds start to splutter, add the tempering on the chutney. Serve with rice, idlis, dosas or even upma.