Hearty, colorful and delicious Black rice and corn salad, great to serve warm or at room temperature.
Today’s whole grain of choice is Black rice which I love for its nuttiness and earthy flavor. It has become quite popular in the West recently. This warm black rice and corn salad is hearty, slightly sweet and is great to serve even at room temperature.Black rice is called forbidden rice because in China during Ching and Ming dynasties, common people were forbidden from eating it. It was reserved exclusively for the royals to ensure their good health and longevity. But eventually even common people were allowed eat the rice. Since then it has become a staple there.I always thought that black rice was used mostly in South east Asian countries. I was surprised to know that it is used in Chettinad cuisine as well. Apparently businessmen from Burma brought this to that region and it has been incorporated into the local cuisine. Black rice is also popular in Northwestern Indian states especially in Manipur.
But I don’t have an Indian dish today, I have a warm black rice and corn salad. Recipe is from New York Times site and I loved how colorful and delicious it looked. Adding spices like ground cumin, dried herbs adds nice flavor and the dried cranberries add sweetness in every bite. It is perfect to make a big batch of this salad and pack the leftovers for lunch the next day.
[inlinkz_linkup id=760137 mode=1]
Black Rice and Corn Salad
- 1 cup black rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2~3 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 Green Onions, Thinly sliced
- 2 cups Frozen Corn, thawed
- 1½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp Dried Thyme
- ½ cup Dried Cranberries
- To taste Salt and Pepper
- Combine black rice and 2 cups of water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook until golden.
- Add the scallions, corn kernels and cook till warmed through.
- Add the cooked rice to the skillet and mix well to combine. Add cumin, dried herbs, cranberries and lime juice. Stir gently to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.