BM# 74: Week 2/ Day 2
Theme: Quick and Delicious Stir Fries
Dish: Sesame Tofu Asparagus Stir Fry
Today I have a Chinese stir fry made with tofu, asparagus and mushrooms. This recipe is from the 'Cooking Light way to cook Vegetarian' cookbook. Though tofu and mushrooms are commonly used in stir fries, asparagus is an interesting addition in this dish.Asparagus are in season right now and the markets are selling really fresh and tender ones. I have been cooking quite a bit with them for the past couple of weeks. They add color and nice crispiness to this stir-fry. Also FYI, green asparagus is higher in Vitamins A and C and folate than the white variety.The original recipe calls for shiitake mushrooms that have strong earthy flavor and rich texture, but I subbed them with some baby bellas. Mushrooms add nice meatiness and flavor to the dish without adding too many calories.Both white and black sesame seeds are used in this dish. Sesame seeds offer iron, magnesium and zinc in their tiny little packages. They also add nuttiness and crunch to the dish.The stir fry sauce is made with hoisin, soy sauce, chili-garlic sauce and some corn starch. All in all this is a healthy and wholesome dish that is great to serve over brown rice or noodles.
Sesame Tofu Asparagus Stir Fry
- 14 oz. Extra firm Tofu, drained and cut into 1" cubes
- 8~10 Asparagus, cut into 2" pieces
- 12~15 Baby Bella or Shiitake Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 tbsp Black Sesame Seeds
- 4 tsp Peanut Oil
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 4~5 Green Onions, thinly sluced
- ½ cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1½ tbsp Low sodium Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Chili-garlic sauce
- To taste Salt & Pepper
- Combine sesame seeds and ¼tsp of salt in a large bowl. Add the tofu pieces and toss gently to coat.
- Combine 2tsp peanut and sesame oil in a large wok or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and stir-fry till golden, about 5~6 minutes. Remove tofu from the pan; keep warm.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining 2tsp peanut oil, add mushrooms and cook for 3~4 minutes or until the mushrooms start to brown. Add asparagus and coo for 4~5 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the sliced green onions.
- In a small bowl, combine broth, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, cornstarch and chili garlic sauce.
- Add this sauce to the veggies in the pan and cook for 1~2 minutes or until the sauce is thickened. Stir in the tofu and season with salt. Toss gently to combine. Serve hot over brown rice.