Quick and easy Bombay Aloo aka Masala Potatoes is an everyday curry that is great to serve with both rice or Roti. This potato curry is a family favorite. Flavored with spices and laced with sweet caramelized, this potato curry is sure to be a family favorite.
We are starting a brand new edition of Blogging Marathon today and my theme for this week is ‘Regional Side dishes’. So for the first day, I made this simple, everyday Bombay Aloo aka Masala Potatoes. These are great to serve with both rice or roti.
This month we celebrating the 100th edition of Blogging marathon. All credit goes to Valli, for being the master mind behind this amazing group and for successfully completing this mile stone. My blog is alive because of BM – it’s the support and enthusiasm of the entire group that keeps me blogging. Big thanks to Valli for reaching 100. I wish you and the group many many more such milestones.
I have been missing in action on my blog for the least couple of months. We are relocating to Denver this summer and the past 2 months have been very hectic and stressful with selling and buying properties. I didn’t think I could participate this month, but since it’s the 100th edition I didn’t want to miss the fun. I have been part of this wonderful group off and on since the second edition way back in 2011.
Easy Bombay Aloo | Masala Potatoes:
Coming back to today’s recipe, Bombay potatoes, this is a very simple, everyday dish. My husband and son can eat this every single day. They love potatoes that much, which is why I have ton of potato recipes on the blog.
I am sure every Indian family has their version of this dish. Looking online, I found this quick and easy Gobi Aloo recipe on Sukhi’s website. Adding cauliflower adds another classic twist to this simple potato curry.
I followed Hari Ghotra’s recipe for quick and easy bombay aloo. It uses big chunks of potatoes with thinly sliced onions with spices. It’s very easy to make and is great to serve with both rice and Roti. Do try out this version of masala potatoes – I’m sure you will love it.
Quick and Easy Bombay Aloo
- 3 Medium Potatoes, peeled and chopped in medium size chunks/ cubes
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 8~10 curry leaves
- 1 Medium Onion, thinly sliced
- 2~3 Green Chilies, finely chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Red Chili powder (optional)
- To taste salt
- Optional step – Steam or microwave the potatoes until fork tender.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan; add mustard seeds and once they start popping, add the curry leaves and cook for 30 seconds.
- Next add the onions, green chilies and cook till onions are lightly browned around the edges.
- Add the potato cubes, cover and cook till the potatoes are tender, about 12~15 minutes, stirring occasionally. This step would go faster, if the potatoes are pre-cooked.
- Stir in turmeric, ground coriander, ground cumin and salt. Sprinkle little water, if the mixture looks too dry. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with rice or roti.