I bought a bag of Buckwheat a while back, after using it once, it got safely stacked away in the back of the refrigerator. With the new house and the moving it took me quite sometime to find it again. So finally it got to see the light of day (not the whole bag, but at least some portion of it) in these pancakes.
Recipe is from Wholegrains Baking by King Arthur flour. Pancakes turned out soft and delicious; addition of molasses made them look darker and burnt but they were just perfect. I froze the leftover pancakes wrapping 2-3 per pack in foil and placed in a freezer safe zip-lock bag; microwaved for a minute or toasted until thawed would make them perfect for a weekday breakfast.
- 1 cup Buckwheat flour
- ¾ cup All Purpose flour
- 2 tsps Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 Egg Large `
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 2 tbsps Molasses
- 1 tbsp Butter – melted
- ½ tsp Salt
- In a large bowl, whisk the flours, baking soda & salt.
- In a measuring cup, add buttermilk and melted butter.
- Whisk egg with molasses in a small bowl.
- Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add all the wet ingredients. Stir the batter swiftly with a few strokes, just until the dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened.
- Heat a non-stick or cast iron griddle on medium heat. Add 1tsp oil and wipe the griddle with a paper towel so that the whole griddle is nicely greased. Pour about ¼ cup of batter and cook until bubbles form, about 2-3 minutes. Gently flip over and cook the other side for another 1 minute.
- Serve with maple syrup or any fruit compote.
These pancakes are quite filling and make a great weekend breakfast. Want to make them for your Dad tomorrow for Father's Day?? Happy Father's day to all Dads. Have fun & Enjoy!!!
Tried this recipe?Mention @cooks_hideout or tag #cookshideout!
A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine
Such a healthy breakfast..looks perfect.
Wat a healthy breakfast to start a day, looks yum!
Indian Cuisine Blogroll
I usually get lazy and make pancakes from readymade flour...nice to see the pancake recipe from scratch and that too with wholegrain flour....
the best way to start the day. lovely pancakes
Healthy one as everybody said..New to me..I must try all these 🙂
so healthy, so yummy...and the pics are outstanding as well
Havent tried cooking with buckwheat. Looks really soft and healthy.
hmm.. buckwheat crepes are delicious, especially with nutella.... but i have yet to find buckwheat flour.
wow those are looking wonderful... very nutritious...