Blogging Marathon# 55: Week 4/ Day 3
Theme: Bookmarked Recipes
Dish: Carrot Halwa Ice cream
This ice cream combines carrot halwa and vanilla ice cream to make a flavor that is sure to be a hit at a Indian themed parties. Recipe is from here and it is just as it sounds, make some carrot halwa, make a vanilla ice cream base — mix them both and churn.
The quantity mentioned here makes quite a lot of ice cream, halve the ingredients if you don’t want to indulge too much 🙂 But I highly recommend making a big batch to serve at parties or for impromptu guests (and of course feed yourself once in a while).
Recipe adapted from here:
Carrot Halwa Ice Cream
For Carrot Halwa:
- 6 ~ 8 Carrot Medium , finely grated (about 4cups)
- 2 cups milk Whole
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- ½ cup Condensed milk (adjust as per taste)
- 1 tsp Cardamom Ground
- a pinch Saffron
- 2 tbsps Almonds cashews raisins , & each
For Ice Cream:
- 2 cups milk Whole
- 1¼ cups Heavy cream
- ⅔ cup Sugar
- 1½ tbsps Corn Syrup Light
- 1 + 1 tbsp tsps Corn Starch
- 2 tbsp Vanilla extract Pure
- 3 tbsps Cream cheese , softened
- Make Carrot Halwa: Melt ghee in a nonstick pan. Add the dryfruit and cook till golden. Remove from the pan and add grated carrot. Saute for 10~5 minutes on medium-low flame until carrot doesn't smell raw anymore.
- Add the milk and simmer till the carrot is cooked through and the mixture starts to thicken, stirring frequently to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the condensed milk, saffron, ground cardamom and cook till thick and creamy. Add the fried nuts and let the mixture cool completely.
- Make Ice Cream base: In a small bowl, whisk corn starch with 3tbsp milk and set aside.
- Combine milk, heavy cream, sugar and light corn syrup in a large sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and let it simmer for 4 minutes or until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Turn off the heat. Gradually add the corn starch mixture. Return to boil and cook on moderately high heat, whisking continuously, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon, about 3~4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream cheese and vanilla extract. Let the mixture cool completely.
- Stir in the carrot halwa into the ice cream base, then chill the mixture for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Once thoroughly chilled, follow your ice cream machine instructions to make the ice cream. Stir in the crushed oreos into the ice cream and enjoy right away or freeze for later.