This Cheese Pav bhaji Sandwich is a convenient and kid friendly way to enjoy a traditional dish.
I can't believe it's November already -- only two more months and we will be starting a new year. This year just flew right by and it's holiday season already. We are starting this month's edition of blogging marathon and my theme for the first week is "Make Takeout at Home'. For the first day I have this Cheese Pav Bhaji sandwich.Pav bhaji is probably the most popular Indian takeout dish that is widely made at home. Since I already posted pav bhaji recipe on my blog, I was wondering what else I can make this week. Then I saw my son eating his pav bhaji as a sandwich and that gave me the idea to make this Cheese Pav bhaji sandwich.This is a much easy and convenient way to enjoy pav bhaji especially for kids. Makes it portable and perfect to pack for lunches too. I added some green chutney to the buns to add some kick to the sandwich. A little bit of tomato ketchup adds an extra layer of tanginess. Make this next time for your kids and I am sure they will enjoy it.
Cheese Pav Bhaji Sandwich
For the Bhaji:
- 1 Large Potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 Medium Green Pepper, finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ cup Green Peas
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp Chili powder (adjust as per taste)
- 1 tsp Pav Bhaji Masala
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1~2 tbsp lemon juice
- To taste salt
For the Cheese Pav Bhaji Sandwich:
- 8 Ladi Pav/ Slider Buns
- 8 Cheese slices
- 3~4 tbsp Green Chutney
- As needed Tomato Ketchup
- 1 Small Onion, finely choped
- As needed Butter (for making the sandwiches)
- As needed Green Chutney
- Heat oil and butter in a pan; add onions, ginger+garlic paste, turmeric and cook till the onions turn translucent.
- Next add the green peppers, tomatoes, green peas, chili powder and salt. Cover and cook till the veggies are very tender.
- Stir in mashed potatoes and mix well. Mash with a potato masher until the veggies are smooth and well combined. Add a splash of water of water if the mixture looks too dry.
- Add pav bhaji masala and simmer for 5~8 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
Make the Sandwich:
- Toast the buns with butter. Spread with green chutney on both the buns. On the bottom bun put bhaji, onion, cheese, ketchup on the top bun. Toast until the cheese is melted, if desired. Serve right now.