Chickpea Quesadilla is a delicious variation to regular cheese quesadilla. It’s packed with double protein with chickpeas and cheese.
I have a very interesting recipe to pack for lunch box today. This Chickpea Quesadilla is made with a spicy chickpea filling along with cheese. It is a filling dish and tastes great hot, warm or at room temperature.Both my kids have polar opposite tastes, they are like two parallel lines that never meet. My son loves cheese and enjoys grilled sandwiches, quesadilla and just about anything that has cheese. On the other hand, my picky 5 year old daughter would rather have rice, dal and curry every single day. Coming up with a menu to please the both of them is quite a nightmare.But I make sure that they taste whatever I make. So when I made this chickpea quesadilla, I had both of them try it and luckily for me they seemed to like it. My son liked it because it had cheese in it and my daughter liked it because it had chickpeas in it. In any case, I am happy that they ate it whatever their reason may be.
The recipe is from the Kitchn site. The best thing about these chickpea quesadilla is that they can be frozen for later use. So, make extra filling and make more of these, pack some for lunch and then stash a few in the freezer for later.
Here’s another one of my favorite quesadilla recipe:
- 2 cups Cooked Chickpeas
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder
- To taste salt
- 4 Large Flour Tortillas (Wholewheat tortillas, if desired)
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 3 Scallions, finely chopped
- Using a fork or a food processor, mash the chickpeas until broken into a coarse mixture. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic and cook till they are translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the mashed chickpeas, cumin, red chili powder and salt. Mix well and cook for 3~5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place the tortilla on a plate, top half of the tortilla with grated cheese and chickpea filling. Fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling. Press lightly.
- Place the quesadilla on a hot skillet and cook until the cheese melts and the tortilla is golden, about 2~3 minutes. Flip and cook on the second side.
- Repeat with the other tortillas. Serve warm or at room temperature with salsa, sour cream, guacamole.