Blogging Marathon# 69: Week 2/ Day 3
Theme: Homemade Chinese Takeaway Food
Dish: Chinese Cold Sesame Noodles (Liang Mian)
I made a trip to the local Chinese grocery and bought some fresh noodles and sesame paste. If you only have tahini, then add a little toasted sesame oil to it and use it in the dish. Or you can roast your own sesame seeds and grind it into a fine paste. I found fresh Hong Kong noodles in the refrigerator section, but you can use fresh or frozen egg noodles or even standard size spaghetti would be a great alternate here.
The recipe is very simple with a no-cook sauce. All the ingredients are mixed into a sauce and then tossed with the cooked noodles. You can add more vegetables if you like. Next time I make this dish I’ll probably add some baked tofu or edamame or fried egg to make it a complete meal.
I made all the 3 dishes (Cucumber Salad and Tofu Skin Noodles) for this week’s theme on one day. It was a delicious and filling Chinese meal. But the good thing was, everything was done in less than 40 minutes. So it’s a quick and easy meal to make too.
Recipe from NYTimes:
Chinese Cold Sesame Noodles (Liang Mian)
- 8 oz Egg Noodles Spaghetti . fresh or (I used fresh Hong Kong noodles)
- 2 tbsps sesame oil
- 3 tbsps soy sauce
- 2 tbsps rice vinegar
- 2 tbsps sesame Chinese paste (roasted sesame seeds ground to a paste)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 ginger " , finely grated
- 2 ~ 3 cloves garlic , finely minced
- 2 tsps Chile garlic - paste (adjust as per taste)
- 1 cucumber Small , thinly sliced
- 3 tbsps Peanuts Roasted , chopped
- To taste salt
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain the water and rinse with cold water. Add a splash of sesame oil and toss to coat the noodles.
- In a small bowl, combine sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame paste, peanut butter, sugar, ginger, garlic, chile-garlic paste and salt. Whisk well to combine the ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over cooked noodles. Toss well to evenly distribute the dressing.
- Garnish with cucumber and chopped peanuts and serve.