For this month’s Taste & Create, being hosted by Min of Bad Girl’s Kitchen, I got paired with Veena @ Veg Nation. Veena blog has tons of delicious vegetarian dishes and I had quite a few bookmarked to try. But as always got busy with other things and was able to make 2 of dishes. One is this easy peasy Corn rice and the other one is the Spring onion Dal. I couldn’t take pictures of dal since I made it on a weekday and had no time to take the pics.
Corn rice is a great one-pot dish that can be made in no time in a pressure cooker. My addition is a carrot to make the dish a little more colorful and tad bit healthy. Here’s how I made it.
Corn & Carrot Rice
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- ½ cup Corn kernels
- 1 Carrot - medium, chopped
- 1 Onion - medium, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic + paste
- 1 Cinnamon " stick - piece
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp chili powder Red
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- to taste Salt
- Rinse the rice and soak in water for at least 15minutes.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves and bay leaves. Once the seeds start to splutter, add onions and saute till they turn translucent.
- Add ginger + garlic paste and cook for another minute.
- Next add corn and carrots and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add red chili powder and garam masala and cook for a minute.
- Drain the rice and mix gently. Add 1½ cups of water, lemon juice and salt. Mix well, cover and cook for 2 whistles.
- Serve hot with a side of pickle, curry, dal or yogurt.