BM# 71: Week 3/ Day 2
Theme: One Ingredient -- 3 Courses
Dish: Gravy -- Creamy Brussels Sprouts Curry
Today I have an interesting gravy dish made with Brussels Sprouts. It's this creamy Brussels Sprouts curry that is great to serve with rice or roti or even bread. Idea to make a curry came from Vaishali's recipe here. I've always either roasted the sprouts or made a stir fry with them, I've never thought of making a gravy dish with Brussels sprouts, so when I saw Vaishali's recipe, I had to try it right away. I made it twice already and it is pretty tasty, if I can say so myself.
I know a lot of people who don't like Brussels Sprouts -- they inherently have a slightly bitter taste and a funky smell that may not appeal to some. My advice to them is to try them roasted first and then try this creamy curry. Creaminess in this curry comes from some almond butter (cashew butter can be subbed or simply soak and grind some almonds or cashews) and coconut milk. So this is a 100% vegan dish that tastes great and is secretly healthy too. I served the curry with bread, since I was too lazy to make rotis.
Creamy Brussel Sprouts Curry
- 3 cups Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp Almond Butter (soak 3tbsp cashews or almonds and grind into a paste)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp Red Chili powder (adjust as per taste preference)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala (or Curry powder)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- To taste salt
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and once they start to splutter, add the onions and garlic. Cook till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and turmeric. Cook till the sprouts are almost cooked through, about 8~10 minutes.
- Add the tomato, garam masala, red chili powder and salt. Cover and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the coconut milk, almond butter and some water; bring to a simmer and cook for 3~4 minutes. Adjust the seasoning and serve with rice or bread.