BM# 68-Cooking Carnival: Day 18
Theme of Week 4: Bread based Street Foods
It is a very tasty sandwich with amazing flavors and textures. I’m not sure why I didn’t try it sooner, it’s much easier and quicker to make than vada pav or other more elaborate street food. It is actually another version of vada pav that doesn’t require the potato part to be fried.
In this sandwich, the sweet and spicy potato mixture is stuffed between 2 pav buns that is generally smeared with green chutney or spicy garlic chutney and then topped with crunchy roasted peanuts and fresh pomegranate arils (or black grapes). I skipped making the garlic chutney and used green chutney instead.
Like I said before this sandwich has so many interesting flavors going on. Sweet, spicy and tangy — all at the same time. I’m sure I’ll be making this sandwich quite often now.
Recipe from Tarla Dalal’s Site:
For Dabeli Masala:
- 1 Red Chili Dry
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- ½ Cinnamon " stick
- 2 Cloves
- ¼ tsp Cumin seeds
For the Potato Filling:
- 2 Potatoes Medium , boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1 Onion Small , finely chopped
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- Pinch Asafoetida of
- 2 tsps Masala Dabeli
- 2 tbsps Tamarind Chutney Sweet (link below)
- To taste Salt
- 6 ~ 8 Pav Burger Buns /
- Butter As needed , for cooking
- ¼ cup Peanuts Roasted
- ¼ cup Cilantro , finely chopped
- ¼ cup Sev Fine
- ¼ cup Pomegranate seeds
- Green Chutney As needed
- Tamarind Chutney As needed Sweet
Make Dabeli Masala:
- Dry roast the dabeli masala ingredients in a pan until fragrant. Grind to a fine powder in a spice grinder or blender. Use as needed.
Make the Potato Filling:
- Heat oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds and once the seeds start to splutter, add asafoetida, 2tsp ground dabeli masala, mashed potato, salt and some water. Mix well and cook for 4~5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and add the sweet tamarind chutney and mix well. Set aside.
Make Dabeli Sandwich:
- Slice the buns in half horizontally and cook the buns with butter until nicely toasted.
- Smear green chutney on both sides liberally. Place some of the potato filling on the bottom half of the bun.
- Top with the onion, peanuts, cilantro, sev, pomegranate, green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney.
- Sandwich it with the top half of the sandwich bread and Serve!!