Bake-a-thon 2015: Day 6
Bake of the Day: Fruit & Nut Cake without Eggs
We are just 12 short days away from Christmas and I’m sure everyone is in full gear with holiday decorating, shopping and baking. We just put our Christmas tree up yesterday and the decoration is still work-in-progress. My 3 year old is very excited about Christmas and has been actively helping me in decorating the house 🙂This fruit & nut cake reminds me of Britannia snack cake with little specks of tutti fruity in it. I have made this cake about half a dozen times already and it has been quite a hit every time I make it. Recipe is from Nisha Madhulika’s site. Recipe needs just a few basic baking ingredients and a few minutes of stirring, voila you have a delicious cake in less than an hour.I made the cake in 8″ round cake pan and also in a 9″x5″ loaf pan. I like the way the slices look from the loaf pan, very similar to Britannia cake. But the choice is up to you.
I prefer the recipe made with oil because I feel the cake is more moist in the oil version. This recipe is quite versatile, skip the nuts if you are not into nutty cakes. Sub tutti fruity with chocolate chips if chocolate is your thing. In any case, this cake recipe is a keeper and I’m sure you’ll love it.
Recipe adapted from here:
Eggless fruit and Nut Cake
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup Oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup Nuts , chopped (almonds, cashew, walnuts)
- ¼ cup Tutti Fruity
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 8" round cake pan and line it with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oil (or melted and cooled butter) and sugar, beat until the mixture turns light, about 3~4 minutes. Add condensed milk and beat again until well combined. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Add ⅓rd of the flour mixture to the oil mixture and mix until combined. Add ½ of the milk and mix well.
- Next add another ⅓rd of the flour mixture, mix and add the remaining milk.
- Finally add the remaining flour and mix well until combined.
- Stir in the nut & tutti fruity and mix until evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30~35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. If the cake seems to be browning too fast, then either cover the pan with aluminum foil.