This Indian styled veggie dip is packed with veggies and tastes spicy and delicious served with crackers or pita chips.
Yesterday I had a no-cook green goddess dip and today I have completely cooked dip. This Indian style mixed veggie dip is packed with veggies, as the name suggests. You can change up the veggies and use the ones that you like.When I think of dips, the only ones that come to mind are the American cheesy dips. So when my cousin served this Indian style veggie dip on our last India trip, I was truly bowled over. I was tasked to assemble these little appetizers and I have to say quite a few vanished in the name of taste testing.I asked my cousin for the recipe and it’s from Tarla Dalal’s site. The only change we made is to add kitchen king masala, which adds a really nice flavor to the veggie mix. For those of you, new to Kitchen king masala, it’s a blend of spices and most spice brands carry it. I usually buy MDH brand. It is spicy and adds a bit of heat too, so a little goes a long way. If you can’t get your hands on this, good old Garam Masala will do the trick.Since there are so many veggies in the dip itself, it is great to serve with crackers or pita chips. I had some whole-wheat Ritz crackers and pita chips. You can top the crackers with the veggie mixture and grated cheese before serving. Alternately serve it with a spoon and have everyone help themselves. All in all this Indian style veggie dip is great to serve for any party or bring to pot luck.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 94.
Indian style Veggie Dip
- 2 cups Mixed vegetables, very finely chopped
- 2 tsp Butter or Oil
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Green Chilies, finely chopped
- 1 Small Tomato, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp Red Chili powder
- ½ tsp Kitchen King Masala (add a little more, if you like it spicy)
- 2 tsp Tomato Ketchup
- To taste salt
- As needed Cilantro, chopped
- As needed Mozzarella or other cheese, grated
- 24 Crackers (I used wholewheat Ritz crackers)
Make the Veggie Topping:
- Boil, steam or microwave the veggies until tender.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the onions, green chilies and cook until the onions are translucent, about 2~3 minutes.
- Add the tomato and cook till mushy, about 2~3 minutes.
- Next add the cooked veggies and cook for 4~5 minutes.
- Stir in the red chili powder, kitchen king masala, ketchup and salt. Mix well and cook for 1~2 minutes for the flavors to mingle.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the chopped cilantro. Cool slightly.
- Top each cracker with 1~2tsp veggie topping and grates cheese. Enjoy!!