BM# 68-Cooking Carnival: Day 13
Theme of Week 3: Vegetables in Snacks
Dish: Mixed Vegetable Bhelpuri
Bhelpuri is a popular street food/ chaat from Mumbai that is made with puffed rice, sev, boiled potatoes, onions, sweet chutney and mint chutney. It is sweet, tangy, salty and spicy — all at the same time. It is crunchy and crispy from the sev, papdi and puffed rice. It is a very tasty snack indeed.
This version has the same flavors and textures of the traditional version but is jazzed up with colorful veggies like corn, cucumber, tomatoes, peas etc. The sweet corn we get here tastes great as is, without boiling, but boil the corn if the corn is a little tough.
Puffed rice gets very soggy very quickly. So get everything ready but mix them with the puffed rice just a few minutes before serving. Sprinkle some thin sev on top and crushed papdis and Enjoy!!
Mixed Vegetable Bhelpuri
- ¼ cup Peas , boiled
- ¼ cup Corn , boiled
- ¼ cup Carrot , grated
- 2 Tomatoes Medium , finely chopped
- ¼ cup Cucumber , finely chopped
- 1 Onion Small , finely chopped
- 2 chilies Green , finely chopped
- ½ ~ 1 tsps chili powder Red (adjust as per taste)
- 1 tsp Cumin Ground
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- 2 tbsps Peanuts Roasted
- 3 tbsps Cilantro , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Date Tamarind chutney (homemade or store bought)
- 1 tbsp Green Chutney (homemade or store bought)
- To taste Salt
- Sev As needed Fine , for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the murmure and all the vegetables (from peas through green chilies in the ingredient list). Mix well.
- Next add the red chili powder, ground cumin, chaat masala, roasted peanuts, crushed papadi, cilantro, lemon juice, date-tamarind and green chutney. Season with salt. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of sev on top.