Jowar Dosa (aka Sorghum Crepes) are healthy and delicious.
We are starting the final week of this month's Blogging marathon and my theme for this week is 'Crepes for All time'. So for the first day I have a healthy, nutritious and delicious Jowar dosa aka jonna dosa aka sorghum crepe. These dosa don't need any soaking, grinding or fermenting. These dosa are instant variety and can be made in less than an hour.This instant jowar dosa recipe is from a Telugu cooking show. I loved the way the chef made these dosa. They looked so crispy and lacy on TV that I had to try it out for myself. I wasn't disappointed with my results -- they were exactly as I expected.Regular rawa dosa are not too healthy with the addition of all refined ingredients. But these jowar dosas fair much better with the inclusion of millets instead of all purpose flour. The only change I made to the recipe was to use buttermilk to mix the flours. I think that adds a little tang and flavor to the dosa.
- 1 cup Jowar/ Sorghum flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Green Chilies, very finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
- To taste salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups water
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, whisk well to form a lump less batter. Batter should be slightly more watery than pancake batter. Cover and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to make dosa, stir the batter well and add more water if the batter looks thick.
- Heat a tawa/ griddle on medium-high heat for at least 5 minutes. Using a measuring cup or a small bowl, pour the batter from 3~4" above the pan in a circular motion. Fill the holes with more batter.
- Drizzle oil over the dosa and cook on medium flame until the dosa is crispy, about 2~3 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 2 minutes. Serve hot with chutney.