BM# 75: A-Z Bake Around the World: Day 12
Bake of the Day: L for Lamingtons
It’s time for another delectable dessert today. These Lamingtons come from down under and is a popular snack across Australia and New Zealand. Australia even has designated July 21, 2006 as National Lamington Day. A lamington is basically squares of sponge cake coated in an outer layer of chocolate sauce or sometimes raspberry jam and then rolled in desiccated coconut. The chocolate sauce is absorbed into the sponge cake and left to set, giving the cake a distinctive texture. Sometimes two lamington halves are sandwiched with cream or strawberry jam before dunking in chocolate.I made an eggless sponge cake using this eggless vanilla cake recipe with condensed milk. Traditionally the cake is baked in a square baking pan and the cake is cut into squares. I used 2 small loaf pans since I didn’t have the correct size square pan. I only made a single layer cake and skipped the sandwiching part. The chocolate icing is quite a delicious addition to this dish along with the dry grated coconut. My eggless cake turned out moist, soft and fluffy — but sturdy enough to dip in the chocolate and roll in coconut. It is best eaten with a fork.Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 75.
[inlinkz_linkup id=693894 mode=1]
For the Cake:
- 1¼ cups Cake flour (or use 1cup all purpose flour & ¼cup Corn Starch)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- A pinch salt
- ½ cup Oil (or use ½cup Melted Butter)
- ½ cup+2tbsp Condensed Milk
- ½ cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Icing:
- 1 cup Bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- ½ cup Confectioners Sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups Grated Dry Coconut
Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 7" square baking pan or 2 loaf pans. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a measuring jar. Set aside for 5~10 minutes to curdle.
- In a mixing bowl, sift cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- To the soy milk mixture, add the melted and cooled butter, condensed milk and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
- Slowly pour in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 22~25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning it over onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the Chocolate Icing:
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Add the milk and stir until smooth.
- Add cocoa powder and confectioners sugar. Mix well until combined.
- Trim the edges of the cake and cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Dip each piece in the icing and roll them in grated coconut. Set aside for 1~2 hours to set. Refrigerate any leftover pieces.