BM# 44: A-Z Cooking Series -- Around the World in 30 days
Country: L for Lebanon
Dish: Mujadara (Rice & Lentils dish)
We are going to Lebanon, a country that is located in Western Asia. I think my first experience with Lebanese cuisine was at the local Mediterranean restaurant near my office. It was run by a super active mother-daughter team. They would memorize the orders in their heads and never wrote them down -- no matter how big the order was. They used to have the usual Mediterranean dishes like hummus, baba ghanoush, pita etc., but what I really wanted to order was their Lebanese Moussaka which they said was vegetarian. But unfortunately I never did and now that I'm not working there, I wish I had ordered that dish.
Well today, I didn't make the moussaka, but I made another really filling and comforting Rice & Lentil dish called Mujadara. Mujadara is a humble and comforting dish made with pantry staples, rice and lentils. There is nothing fancy about it, but it is a very flavorful dish with the grown cumin and the crispy fried onions on top. It is also quick dish to make and is usually served with a dollop of yogurt.
- ½ cup lentils Brown or Green - (I used whole masoor or brown )
- ½ cup Rice - (I use Jasmine rice, but any long grain rice should work)
- 1 Onions - large, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- ½ tsp Cumin Ground
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
- to taste Salt
- Soak rice for 15~20 minutes.
- Cook the lentils until almost cooked through, they should hold their shape and should not be mushy at all. I pressure cooked the lentils for 3 whistles, but you can boil them in a pot with 2cups of water.
- Once the lentils are par cooked, heat 3tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan, add the cumin seeds and cracked pepper and cook for 30 seconds; add the sliced onions and cook on medium flame, stirring occasionally until the onions are caramelized and are deep brown in color.
- Remove half of the onions into a bowl and set aside for garnish later.
- To the remaining onions in the pot, add the drained rice along with ground cumin, cayenne and salt. Mix well and cook for 2~3 minutes. Add the cooked lentils and 2~3 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat and cook covered until the rice is cooked through.
- I pressure cooked everything for 2 whistles.
- Serve the dish with the caramelized onions on top.
Your pictures are so good you can make a brown colored dish stand out. Whole lentil are so flavorful. I have some green ones. Will try this.
It is all Lebanon today! Nice flavorful rice & lentils dish.
Pavani I read about Mujadra and was tempted to try it..the flavours in it are so nice and we love rice dishes.i am bookmarking this and will surely try it soon.
wow the lebanese style rice and lentils looks so tempting !! mujadara is sure filled with lots of flavors , wonderful Bg dear and very well captured !! 🙂
Mujadara looks simply healthy, hearty and wholesome..A complete meal.
The Pumpkin Farm
indeed like you said...simple and flavorful instead of fancy...looks very comforting..nice choice...btw..cant you visit the place again since you are longing..or is it far off
Good one. I bookmarked his for another country. Lets see if I get to make it 🙂
Very comforting one pot meal , looks simple yet flavorful !
Simple and flavorful dish. It can be a great lunch box item too.
I have this on my list as well..opted for another one in the last min..very lovely pictures..
Global Tastes & Travels Inc.
the carmelized onlons must make this so flavorful - just like koshari
Wow this looks and sounds and I am sure tasted yum. Love it,