Spicy, cheesy and packed with veggies this Mexican style grilled cheese sandwich is sure to be a hit with both adults and kids.
After 2 Italian style fusion dishes, today I am going south of the border to Mexico. So for the last day of this week’s BM, I made this Mexican style grilled cheese sandwich. It is cheesy, spicy and absolutely delicious.
I had a million ideas for this week’s blogging marathon ‘fusion at its best’ theme. I wanted to try Indian style American desserts or Sandwiches. Then there was Korean style Mexican dishes and on and on.But then I didn’t get to make anything I planned for. Time seemed to slip out of my hands and I am left with ideas now 🙁 I Hope Valli has this theme again some time soon, so I can make some of those dishes.
Mexican Style Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
So today’s Mexican style grilled cheese sandwich was not really planned but it just happened. I had leftover Mexican style sautéed veggies from last night and I wanted to make something different with them. With the limited time I had today to make lunch, this grilled cheese sandwich seemed like the perfect idea.
Ingredients in this fusion Grilled Cheese:
This fusion cheese sandwich is a combination of melted cheese with sauteed Mexican flavored veggies. I used grilled peppers, onions and zucchini flavored with oregano, ground cumin, chili powder and salt.
For cheese, I used grated pepperjack. But you can use any melting cheese like cheddar or monterey jack etc. For a little bit more of Mexican kick, I added tiny bit of salsa.
I also added grilled veggie burger to give some protein to the sandwich. You can spread some refried beans or paneer or a fried egg to make it more filling and substantial.
Avocado or guacamole would also be a good addition to this sandwich. All in all, this is a flavor packed sandwich that is sure to be a hit with adults and kids alike. Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 97.
Mexican Style Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- As needed Softened Butter
- 4 Sandwich Bread Slices
- 4 Pepperjack or Cheddar Cheese Slices
- 2 tbsp salsa
- 2 tbsp Guacamole, optional
- ¼ cup Roasted, grilled or sauteed veggies*
- 2 Veggie Burgers, cooked according to package directions (optional)
- Generously butter the sandwich bread. On the bottom slice, spread salsa, top with the cooked burger, roasted veggies, guacamole (if using) and cheese slices. Place the top slice and press lightly.
- Gently place the sandwich on a preheated pan/ griddle and cook on medium heat until the sandwich is golden brown, about 2~3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until golden, another 2 minutes. Repeat with the other sandwich. Serve immediately and Enjoy!!
- I used red & green peppers, onions and zucchini.
- To grill the veggies, heat a grill pan on medium high heat. Grease the pan lightly and grill the veggies until lightly charred and fork tender. Season with dried oregano, ground cumin, salt and pepper.
- To roast the veggies - combine the chopped veggies along with 2tbsp oil, dried oregano, ground cumin, salt and pepper - mix well and bake until the edges are lightly browned and fork tender.