Mixed Vegetable Sagu is a South Indian curry with veggies cooked in a simple coconut sauce/ gravy. It is typically served with paratha or poori but can be served with rice too.
For the final day of this week’s blogging marathon under ‘Everyday easy dish for rice/Roti’, I made a South Indian gravy curry. Mixed Vegetable Sagu is a delicious dish made with choice of vegetables and is cooked in a simple coconut gravy.
It is a less spicy version of Kurma. There is no ginger or garlic in this one and onion can easily be skipped. This recipe is from Chandra Padmanabhan’s Dakshin cookbook.
Sagu with Mixed Vegetables
After posting curry recipe with coconut milk base, I had another recipe with an interesting gravy base. But as luck had it I didn’t have all the ingredients to make that dish, so I went with this mixed vegetable Sagu instead. This sagu has fresh grated coconut, green chilies, roasted gram or whole spices in the gravy.
Easy Gravy Recipe:
The gravy for this recipe comes together in no time – just grind all the ingredients raw and it is ready to use. Any veggie that does not get too mushy once cooked can be used here. I had frozen mixed veggies on hand and being the lazy cook that I am I went with them – no chopping required.
Make this Sagu to serve with roti, puri or even rice and I’m sure you will love the yummy flavors.
Mixed Vegetable Sagu
For the Spice Paste:
- 3~4 Green Chilies, chopped
- 1 tbsp Fried gram (Dalia, putnalapappu) or Cashews
- ¼ tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 3 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1" Cinnamon stick
- 2~3 Cloves
- ¼ cup Fresh grated coconut (thaw, if frozen)
- 2 tbsp Ghee or Canola Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Dry Red Chili, halved
- 1 tsp urad dal
- ½ tsp Hing or Asafoetida powder
- 8~10 curry leaves
- 2~3 cups Chopped Mixed Veggies*
- 1 Medium Potato, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp Turmweic powder
- To taste salt
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- Grind the ingredients for the 'Spice paste' until smooth using just enough water. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat ghee/ oil and add mustard seeds, red chili, urad dal, hing and curry leaves. Once the seeds start to splutter, add the veggies, turmeric and salt.
- Saute for couple of minutes, then add 1 cup of water. Cook till the veggies are tender, about 8~10 minutes.
- Add the spice paste and mix well. Add more water if the curry seems too dry. Simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with roti, poori or rice.
- I used frozen mixed veggies which has green beans, carrot, green peas and corn. Feel free to use cabbage, chayote squash etc.