Moroccan Carrot Salad is a refreshing and delicious dish to accompany any meal.
Can't believe it is December already -- I probably said this a million times -- but time sure is flying. This year went by in a hurry -- selling a house, buying a house, packing and moving took up most of our year. Hopefully next year is going to be more relaxed and restful. Coming to this week's blogging marathon, my theme for the week is 'Moroccan dishes'. So for the first day I have a simple Moroccan Carrot Salad.This is a classic Moroccan salad that is made with everyday ingredients -- carrots, olive oil, lemon juice and spices. Carrots can be coarsely grated using a grater or to make life easier, use store bought shredded carrots 🙂 I am one of those people who run miles away when grating in bulk is involved (psst.. my sister used to be the grating bhakra at home when carrot halwa was on the menu).This recipe is from The America's Test Kitchen - The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook. Juicy orange segments are added to compliment the earthiness of the carrots. The orange juice is reserved to add to the dressing as well. The sweetness of the orange juice is balanced with the lemon juice and warm spices -- cumin, cayennne and cinnamon.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 83.
Moroccan Carrot Salad
- 4~6 Medium Carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 Oranges
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Agave Nectar (or Honey for non-vegans)
- ¾ tsp Ground Cumin
- ⅛ tsp Red Chili powder/ Cayenne Pepper
- ⅛ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- To taste Salt Pepper
- 3 tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the peel and pith from the oranges. Hold the fruit over a bowl and using a paring knife slice between the membranes to release the segments. Place them in a fine mesh sieve to drain. Reserve the juice.
- To make the dressing, whisk lemon juice, agave (or honey), cumin, cayenne, cinnamon and ½tsp salt into the reserved orange juice.
- Add the drained oranges and the dressing to the grated carrots. Toss gently to coat. Let the salad sit for about 5 minutes, until the liquid starts to pool in the bottom of the bowl.
- Drain the salad in a fine mesh sieve and return to a bowl.
- Stir in cilantro and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!!
The carrots look so pretty with that spec of green , and those oranges must have imparted a delicious flavour to this salad . Simple but rustic and earthy salad . Adding it to my daily salad menu .
Such a delicious looking salad. Sounds absolutely flavourful..
A simple and refreshing salad. 🙂 It could be an easy fix for hectic days.
I always like it when fruits and vegetables are combined in a salad. Nice, colorful one.
One of my favourite salad, just love this salad since ever this salad was introduced by one of my Moroccan friend. And your clicks are very catchy.
This is definitely my kind of a salad! Wonderful pairing of carrots and oranges!
What a different salad this is and would pair great with the holiday dinner.
Such a refreshing and tasty salad. Love the flavours going in there.