I was spellbound by her photos of Norway, the greenery, the mountains, the clear blue water, everything looks so pristine and picturesque. So Norway has been added to my bucket list now 🙂
I initially wanted to make this Winter fruit salad, but then saw this apple trifle recipe and knowing my love for individual desserts I made this instead. It is a very simple dessert with apple compote layered with cinnamon spiked cookie crumbs. Original recipe used digestive cookies that I didn’t have, so I used graham crackers instead.
Recipe adapted from Nordic Diner:
Norwegian Apple Trifle
- 2 Apples Medium Crisp and tart , chopped
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- ¼ cup Apple juice Water or
- ¼ tsp Vanilla bean seeds vanilla or half of a pod
- ½ tsp Cinnamon Ground
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup Whipping Cream
- In a small pan, combine chopped apple, sugar, apple juice or water and vanilla bean seeds. Cover and cook till the apples are very soft. Mash it into a coarse mixture and set aside to cool.
- Crush the graham crackers into a coarse powder.
- In a small pan, melt butter and add the graham crackers and ground cinnamon. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3~4 minutes or until the color changes slightly and gets fragrant. Remove from heat and cool.
- In the meantime, whip the whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- To serve: Divide the apple compote evenly in serving bowls, top with whipped cream and sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top. Alternately the trifle can also be made in individual glasses.