Blogging Marathon# 57: Week 4/ Day 1
Theme: Kid’s Delight — Cooking with Whole grains
Dish: Oats Khichdi
Coming up with kid approved whole grain dishes was not easy as I thought it would be. My kids are a little picky and I have blogged about most of the whole grain dishes that they eat. So coming up with new ones was a good exercise for the brain. I cook/ bake with brown rice, quinoa, wholewheat flour etc., and they eat most of what I serve.
Idea for this Oats khichdi came from a Telugu cooking show. In the original recipe, the chef used mixed greens in the dish, but I have tried variations with mixed vegetables, just corn, tomato. I was surprised that my picky son came back for seconds whenever I make this dish. So it is a big hit in my house. Serve it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Oats Khichdi (Oats-Lentil Porridge)
- 1 cup Oats
- ½ cup Masoor Dal Moong dal (red lentil) or
- 1 Ginger " - piece, chopped
- 1 cup Veggies of choice - (potatoes, corn, carrot, green beans, green peas, spinach, methi, tomato etc)
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 2 Chilies Green - slit
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 8 ~ 10 Curry leaves
- to taste Salt Pepper &
- Cook dal (either masoor or moong) until mushy and keep ready.
- Heat 1tbsp oil/ ghee in a large pan, add cumin seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves. Once the seeds change color, add ginger, green chilies and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the veggies and saute till tender, about 8~10 minutes depending on the veggies used. Par cooking the veggies in the microwave is a great option to expedite the cooking process.
- Once the veggies are cooked, add 1½cups of water and bring to a boil (add more water if you want a soupy khichdi). Add the oats, lower the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer the khichdi until oats are cooked, about 6~8 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked dal, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 more minutes. Add some water if the mixture looks too thick. Serve warm with a dollop of ghee on top.